Maricopa County's First Heat-Related Death Of The Year

Published: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 2:24pm
Updated: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 3:01pm

A man in his mid-60s has become Maricopa County’s first heat-related death of the year. Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine of the Maricopa County Public Health Department said the man, who had underlying health issues, was found in a very hot home where the air conditioning was not functioning. Sunenshine said in the Arizona heat, air conditioning is not a luxury.

 “They may try to rely on a fan or opening the windows and it’s really important that they understand that air conditioning is not optional,” Sunenshine said. “When it hits 110 degrees, you have to have your air conditioning functioning and it has to be on.”

Sunenshine urges people to check on their neighbors, grandparents or anybody with underlying medical issues and make sure they are handling the heat properly.

If you like this story, Donate Now!